Agriculture - The World’s Most Valuable Cash Crop
What is the world’s most valuable cash crop?
As with most things, it can be complicated and more nuanced to answer. However, ultimately it boils down to a few key factors: total amount planted, the rate of yield, and the revenue per unit sold. It also depends on whether we are looking at the absolute value, or the most value per acre.
Top Most Valued Cash Crop Per Km Sq.
Top Most Harvested Cash Crop
Gross Production of Cash Crop(m tonnes)
Gross Production Value ($bn)
Pairplots and Linear Predictions
CPU times: user 2 µs, sys: 1 µs, total: 3 µs Wall time: 6.2 µs
CPU times: user 2 µs, sys: 1e+03 ns, total: 3 µs Wall time: 6.2 µs
The most planted crops throughout the world are wheat and maize (corn). Rice and soybeans are other key staples. However, these are all relatively low yielding and do not make enough revenue per tonne of product produced.
The highest yielding crops are sugar cane, sugar beet, and tomatoes. Sugar cane accounts for about 80% of the world’s sugar production, while sugar beet the remaining 20%.
Not surprisingly, the most lucrative cash crops from a value per acre perspective are illegal in many parts of the world. With a higher risk to grow these, there is a higher reward for the farmers. Cannibies have a value of 47.7 million per square kilometre,while coca weighs in at 37.7 million and opium poppies 6 million per sq. km. The most lucrative legal crops include tomatoes (6 millionper sq.km.
The most lucrative legal crops include tomatoes(1.4 million per sq. km) and grapes 625,000 per sq. km). Interestingly, tobacco comes in the middle of the pack with a value of 625,000 per sq.km).Interestingly,tobacco comes in the middle of the pack with avalue of 277,000 per sq. km. Rapeseed (also known as canola) comes in at $60,000 per sq. km.
From an absolute value perspective, the world’s most valuable cash crop is cannabis as well. It is followed by rice, maize, and then wheat.